Sal Cincotta is an award winning photographer, author, speaker and business coach. He is one of the most sought after business consultants in the photography industry, helping studios and photographers around the world take their businesses to the next level. For more information about Sal, visit www.behindtheshutter.com.
1. Tell us something about your business and how long you have been a professional photographer.
I have been a professional photographer since 2007. Salvatore Cincotta Photography focuses primarily on high school seniors and weddings.
2. What equipment do you use?
I shoot with a Canon 1Dx and use all Canon L-series glass.
3. Where are you located?
Our studio is in the St. Louis metro area – O’Fallon, Illinois.
4. What type of photography do you like to create?
I like romantic, architecturally-based imagery.
5. Price range of events?
The average high school seniors spend $1,400, and $10,000 for wedding clients.
6. When did you notice you had a passion for photography?
I realized my passion for photography when I shot my first wedding at age 17. Photography was a hobby for me for a long time, until 2007 when I decided to go pro.
7. What is unique to what you do or what you offer?
With our studio, it’s all about the client experience– we put a lot of effort into clients
having the best experience in studio. While imagery is important, in today’s market
everyone is a photographer, so you have to offer more to your clients than just a
8. Most awkward moment during an event?
The most awkward moment for me was at a wedding when seven drunk groomsmen opened the door to their room completely naked!
9. What is the scariest thing that ever happened during a photo shoot?
I had a memory card in my pocket and was lying on the ground for a shot, and the card fell out without me noticing. I didn’t realize until two hours later, once I was already home. I got back to the location at 10pm to find the memory card on the ground in the exact same place it had fallen out, right as it started to rain.
10. Best advice you have been given in your photography career?
My entire life I’ve been raised to believe that, without our name we have nothing. I try to operate with honesty and integrity in every aspect of my business and life.
11. Best advice that you could give someone else that is pursuing a photography career?
Never quit. Keep trying and keep following your passion. You have to believe in yourself before anyone will believe in you.
12. Best moment of your photography career?
Photographing for the White House and having the opportunity to photograph President Obama.
13. How many sessions/events do you do each year?
Our studio does 40-50 weddings per year, and over 150 other portrait sessions (seniors, families, babies, etc).
14. Have you changed anything to adjust in the current economic times?
Interesting question. We have, in fact, changed things. We have raised our prices and increased out product offering to make sure we stand out from the crowd.
15. Describe your shooting style.
Really urban, really aggressive– a true run-and-gun shooter.
You can connect with Sal and Taylor through the following website and social media sites: